Man arrested in death of New Hampshire couple found shot near hiking trail

CONCORD, NH – A man charged with shooting New Hampshire couple to death on hiking trail in April had spent months living in the nearby woods but disappeared after lying to police just before the bodies were discovered, according to court documents released Thursday.

The New Hampshire State Police affidavit was released by a Vermont judge after Logan Clegg, 26, waived extradition and agreed to return to New Hampshire to face charges of second degree murder.

The document does not include a possible motive for the deaths of Stephen and Djeswende Reid, whose bodies were found April 21, three days after they left their Concord apartment complex to go for a walk. But he describes what led investigators to Clegg, including store surveillance video, credit card statements and cellphone data.

Stephen Reid and Djeswende ReidNew Hampshire Attorney General’s Office

According to the affidavit, police investigating the couple’s disappearance met a man living in the woods who identified himself as “Arthur Kelly” on April 20. Two days later his campsite was abandoned but police found used shell casings similar to those found in the crime. stage.

A woman later came forward to say she was walking her dog on April 18 when the Reids passed her on the trail. A few minutes later, she heard gunshots, and she later saw a young man carrying a shopping bag looking through the woods toward where the bodies were found.

Several other residents told police they had seen a homeless youth in the area on multiple occasions between November 2021 and April 2022, and surveillance footage showed someone matching their descriptions buying propane tanks and groceries from area stores.

Police did not have a name until September, when a bank provided information about purchases made by the individual with credit or debit cards. This led to an online retailer of dietary supplements, which identified the buyer as Clegg.

A booking photo of Clegg during a 2020 burglary arrest in Utah matched police “Arthur Kelly” who police spoke to in Concord, the affidavit says. A manager at a McDonald’s in Concord also confirmed that she employed Clegg from November 2021 to February 2022.

Police approached Clegg this month after learning he had booked a one-way ticket to Germany for October 14. They used the phone number he provided when purchasing the ticket to track him down in Burlington, Vermont on October 12.

According to the affidavit, Clegg told police he had lived in Concord and worked at McDonald’s, but denied living in a tent, under the alias Arthur Kelly, interacting with police, owning a firearm or being implicated in the Reids’ death.

During his Vermont court appearance, Clegg answered questions from Superior Court Judge Mary Morrissey about whether he understood what he was doing when he agreed to return to face charges in New York. Hampshire. His attorney questioned the prosecution’s request to seal the affidavit, but the judge said there was no legal authority to do so.

At a news conference in Concord, New Hampshire Attorney General John Formella said investigators had no information to suggest anyone other than Clegg was involved in the deaths. He otherwise declined to provide any further information, including anything about a possible motive for the crime or whether Clegg had a connection to the couple.

“Mr. Clegg’s arrest is a big step in this case, but it’s only one step,” he said. “There’s a long way to go in this case.”

He and Concord Police Chief Bradley Osgood urged the public to continue providing information or advice.

“Six months ago, this senseless tragedy became our number one priority. It still remains our top priority today,” Osgood said. “We hope today brings a sense of healing to the community and the Reid family.”

Family members released a statement thanking authorities for their work in identifying and arresting a suspect, as well as those who provided information and donated money to a reward hotline.